August 7, 2014 | Leave a Comment
BUIES CREEK — Campbell University’s 128th year will kick off with its biggest Welcome Week to date.
The week officially begins at 9 a.m. on Aug. 16 when freshmen and transfer students move into their residence halls and ends the following Saturday with a beach trip (prior sign-up required). Highlights of Campbell’s “Best Week Ever” include:
• Mockingbird Sun to play Welcome Party (Aug. 16): Texas trio Mockingbird Sun will play the opening night’s welcome party in the Academic Circle after freshmen and transfer students spend their first day moving in. The group is currently touring the country and is compared to other modern Texas country artists like Pat Green and Jack Ingram, blending traditional country with a little alt-rock. The welcome party begins at 6 p.m.
• New Student Convocation (Aug. 17): It’s a time-honored tradition at Campbell University — the freshman medallion ceremony at the New Student Convocation. Freshmen will meet in the lobbies of their residence halls at 3:30 p.m. on Sunday and walk to the Convocation Center for the 4 p.m. ceremony. Transfer students and commuters will meet in the center’s lobby.
• Camel 101 (Aug. 18): Before they can take algebra and biology, freshmen must take Camel 101 from 9 to 11 a.m. on Monday. Here, they learn the fundamentals of being a success in their four years in Buies Creek. Camel 101 is entering its fifth year at Campbell.
• Running of the Camels (Aug. 19): Last year’s inaugural 5K was deemed a success, thus a tradition was born. Registration will begin bright and early at 7 a.m., and the race will begin at 8 at the Aquatic Center. Students, faculty and staff of Campbell University are invited to race. Registration is free to all students, and awards will be given to the winners in several categories.
• Street Fair (Aug. 19): Academic organizations, club sports, fraternities and sororities, political groups, special interest groups, local businesses and much more will be represented at the annual Street Fair in Fellowship Commons Tuesday night from 6 to 8 p.m. The hugely popular event marks the final campus gathering before ...
• Classes begin (Aug. 20): The fun’s over (or it’s just begun, depending on who you are). Classes begin at 8 a.m. on Wednesday. The drop/add deadline is 5 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 22.
• Football Fan Fest (Aug. 21): Meet the 2014 Fighting Camels football team, gather with friends and catch the Camels’ final scrimmage before the season begins. Football Fan Fest begins at 6 p.m. at Barker-Lane Stadium.
• Cardboard Boat Race (Aug. 21): The popular annual event has moved from February to Welcome Week. The race — held at the Aquatic Center — will follow Football Fan Fest at 8 p.m. Teams will compete to build the best boat out of cardboard. The event is sponsored by the Campus Activities Board.
• Party in the Park (Aug. 22): Food, inflatables, water slides and the grand event — mud volleyball. Join your classmates in Saylor Park, and dress appropriately. Chances are … you’re going to get muddy.
• Beach trip (Aug. 23): Those who signed up for the beach and surfing trip on the coast will depart from the Fine Arts Building parking lot at 8 a.m. Sign-up begins at noon on Aug. 18, at the information desk at the Wallace Student Center. It’s the perfect way to end a “best week ever.”
Saturday Aug. 16
• 9 a.m.-5 p.m.: Freshmen and transfer students move into residence halls
• 5 p.m.: Dinner in Marshbanks Dining Hall
• 6 p.m.: Welcome party in Academic Circle, music by Mockingbird Sun
• 9 p.m.: Residence Hall meetings
• 11 p.m.: Movie — “Divergent” in Turner Auditorium
Sunday, Aug. 17
• 7:30 a.m.: Breakfast served in Marshbanks
• 9 a.m.-5 p.m.: Returning students move into residence halls and apartments
• 10 a.m.: Freshman Worship service in Butler Chapel
• 3:30 p.m.: Freshmen meet in the lobby of their residence halls for New Student Convocation
• 3:30 p.m.: Transfer and new commuter students meet in Convocation Center lobby
• 4 p.m.: New Student Convocation in Gore Arena | Freshman Medallion Ceremony, guest speaker David Crabtree of WRAL
• 5:30 p.m.: Dinner in the dining halls
• 8 p.m.: Bingo in Turner Auditorium
• 9:45 p.m.: Ice cream party in Academic Circle
Monday, Aug. 18
• 9-11 a.m.: Camel 101 in Turner Auditorium (D. Rich)
• Noon: Sign-up for the beach and surfing trip at the info desk in Wallace Student Center
• 4 p.m.: Department meetings: Meet at your department’s assigned location
• 5 p.m.: President’s Picnic: Cookout with faculty and students in Gore Arena
• 7 p.m.: Women’s soccer vs. Mount Olive (exhibition)
• 9 p.m.: Paint U dance party in Academic Circle
Tuesday, Aug. 19
• 7 a.m.: Registration opens for Running of the Camels 5K
• 8 a.m.: Running of the Camels 5K starts at the Aquatic Center
• 8-8:45 a.m.: Mini orientation check-in at Lynch Auditorium (Business School)
• 9 a.m.: Sign-up for the Appalachian State vs. Campbell football game trip (info desk at student center)
• 9 a.m.: Registration opens for returning students
• 10-11:30 a.m.: Camel 101 in Turner Auditorium
• 2 p.m.: International student orientation in Lundy-Fetterman School of Business (room 147)
• 6-8 p.m.: Street Fair in Fellowship Commons
Wednesday, Aug. 20
• 8 a.m.: Classes begin
• 7 p.m.: Campus Ministry Night in Butler Chapel
• 10 p.m.: Residence hall meetings
Thursday, Aug. 21
• 11 a.m.-2 p.m.: Big South Conference Back to School Tour in front of Marshbanks
• 6 p.m.: Club sports open house in D. Rich
• 6 p.m.: Football Fan Fest at Barker-Lane Stadium
• 8 p.m.: Cardboard Boat Race in the Aquatic Center
Friday, Aug. 22
• 3-5 p.m.: Drop/Add
• 2-6 p.m.: Party in the Park: Mud volleyball, water slides, food and entertainment in Saylor Park
• 7 p.m.: Women’s soccer vs. Richmond (exhibition)
• 9 p.m.: Movie — “Godzilla” in Turner Auditorium
Saturday, Aug. 23
• 8 a.m.: Beach and surfing departs from the Fine Arts lot. Students must sign up prior to the trip.
• 5 p.m.: Men’s soccer vs. George Mason (exhibition)
Thu, 08 Oct 2015
Mon, 05 Oct 2015
Mon, 05 Oct 2015
We invite you to leave a comment if you want to discuss this article. Please note any posted comment will be viewable by the public. If you notice any errors please email Haven Hottel at [email protected].